Grayson had a fever as high as 102 over the past few days combined with a stomach bug and just all around flu like symptoms. I took him to the pediatrician today and even though his fever is gone and he seems to be doing better, he is still VERY fussy and sometimes unable to be soothed into a “happy place.”
Just remember, you can’t exactly clap your hands and make the horrible feelings go away but there is plenty you can do outside of your doctor’s orders that will make the icky feelings go away or at least seem to get your little one(s) back on the right track!
- Let them set the rules. Sure they are sick but if they aren’t bed bound and really want to just relax and play with their toys, etc. then let them. They’ll tell you if something is wrong, trust me.
- Doctor their diet. Common sense here. Lots of fluids but also lots of nutrients. Try and feed them foods high in water content such as fruits. Pedialyte is always a PERFECT item to have in your fridge at all times.
- Help the medicine go down. Mix it with applesauce or another favorite food of theirs. This is an oldie but a goodie.
- Counter Congestion with a cool-mist humidifier. This is one of my personal favorites.
- Read all about it! Kids love when you read to them and this is an easy way to pass the time and keep them interested while learning at the same time.
- Pour on the TLC! Plenty of love, hugs, and kisses never hurt anyone!
There really aren’t any right or wrong answers when it comes to tending to your sick child or children. Kids are kids and colds come and go, we just need to comfort them and provide them what they need. Love Love and more LOVE! For more details on soothing your sick child, check out this great article from WhatToExpect.com!